Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, all consumers have certain rights. When any of these rights are violated, the consumer can file a claim against the violator. If you believe your rights under this act have been violated, you need an experienced attorney on your side to help you win your case.
About the FCRA
The FCRA guarantees certain rights to all consumers. Some of these rights include:
- The right to request a credit score.– You have a right to ask consumer reporting agencies for your credit score, although you will typically be required to pay a fee.
- The right to see your file. – The FCRA provides you with the right to know what information is included in your credit file. In many cases, you can receive this information free of charge.
- The right to know when credit information affected you adversely. – When information in your credit report is used to take adverse action or deny an application, you must be informed of the details in writing.
- The right to limit who can see your report. – Before an employer can pull your credit, you must give your express permission. Other access to your file is also limited by law.
- The right to have an accurate report. – The law requires your report to contain only information that is accurate and not outdated. Consumer reporting agencies must remove any information that doesn’t meet these requirements.
- The right to seek damages. – If a credit reporting agency or another entity violates your rights under the FCRA, you have the right to seek damages.
Filing a Claim
If you believe that your rights under the FCRA have been violated, an experienced attorney can help you determine whether you have a case. If your claim is found to be valid, an attorney who understands these laws will also be able to help you proceed appropriately.
Here at Holmes Law Group, we have helped many consumers just like you to file successful claims against the entities that violated their rights under the FCRA. If you believe that you have been a victim of a FCRA violation, contact our office today to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment.